Saturday, May 14, 2011

Messages to Nobody in Particular

In Moody Memorial Library at Baylor University, there are places where students go to hide themselves away from the world.  As the student moves through the labyrinth of shelves, the isolation becomes more and more complete.  In theory, this isolation should lead to better studying, but the study carrels show the psychological cost of this study habit.

On the sides of the study carrels, one can find messages to nobody in particular.  On them are written everything you need to know about the reputations of every sorority on campus.  Many of the messages talk about studying.  Someone wrote on one carrel "this is the original twitter."

These messages are only one example of the human need to communicate, even when we think no one will listen.  They are an outcry, an attempt to break the isolation.  Blogging is like the messages on the carrels in that way.  Most blogs have few regular readers, but people continue to write them.  As I write this post, I have no way of knowing how many people will actually read it.  It's a message to nobody in particular.

But, high readership isn't the point for me.  I have something I want say; I need to see it typed out on the computer screen.  If I can hold myself to my goal of two posts per week, then I will have done something to break my personal silence, even if nobody hears.  

No comments:

Post a Comment