Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Update about text messaging

I was doing some cutting edge research on Wikipedia* when I found this article: Internet Linguistics.  I was trying to find a list of linguistics sub fields when this came up.  Those in the field of internet linguistics study new language styles that have arisen from use of the internet and related media (such as text messaging).  Internet linguistics could be used to improve media technology usability.  And it's fun to study how language is evolving in the new communication media.

This fit so well with my post on text messaging that I had to talk about it.  It was so exciting that it needed its own post.  Based on what I read in the article, this is a very new field.  I'm guessing that most of the research ideas I brainstormed are still up for grabs.

*I wasn't really doing cutting edge research on Wikipedia for those of you who are worried

1 comment:

  1. Jules did her syntax project on lolspeak. It was awesome, but Dr. Grebenyova was kinda nonplussed I think. :)

    ReplyDelete